Motion Disabled: Unlimited is the 2012 edition of Simon Mckeown’s internationally exhibited exhibition Motion Disabled. The 2012 impression studies the body and movement of some of the UK’s most famous paralympians and takes the work into new and exciting directions including a large 10m tall inflatable sculpture aswell as a iPhone 4 application.
Viewers are given the chance to watch and study the physicality and movement of the modern day disabled athlete, the paralympian. What is it like to walk and jump without legs, or to sail with one arm? Permission to view is granted; cultural identity removed; disabled avatars move.
The work continues to explore Mckeown's interest in normality and difference and is made up of three distinct sections in addition to the web site.
A large inflatable sculpture forms the core part of the exhibition. This has been placed in cities and events during 2012 at various locations globally. In addition a new video art series of motion capture based work featuring the paralympians, there is a iPhone 4 application that links everything together and introduces viewers to the exhibition and it’s concepts using high tech but accessible methods.
Paralympic athletes had their motions captured at Centroid 3D's amazing facility at London's historic Pinewood Studios.
The exhibition launched on July 9th 2012 in Oxford's Olympic Torch Relay celebration at South Park, in front of the events 20,000 sell out audience.
Please see below for further detail on where to see the exhibition:
- Dresden - Deutsches Hygiene Museum, October 2013 to June 2014
- Prague - Dox Centre for Contemporary Art, May - September 2013
- Loughborough - Town Centre - 9th September 2012
- West Cheshire College, Ellesmere Port Campus, West Cheshire - 5th to 8th September 2012
- South Bank Centre - South Bank, London - 3rd & 4th September 2012
- Jubilee Gardens - South Bank, London - 29th August to 2nd September 2012
- Leicester - Orton Square and The Curve - 26th August 2012
- Edinburgh - Festival Square - 13th - 17th August 2012
- T4 On the Beach - Weston super Mare 1st July 2012
- Middlesbrough - MIMA - Summer 2012
- Scunthorpe - 20-21 Visual Arts Centre - Summer 2012
- Oxford - South Park - July 9th 2012
- See more at: http://www.motiondisabledunlimited.com/exhibition/